Review on the live action “MULAN”


Hello readers, it has been a minute and I am so sorry for the lack of update. I promised you guys a part 2 of my “in my feelings” playlist review which I am still going to publish. 

From the title, you’ll know that I am doing a review of this live action remake of the very popular movie “Mulan”. Now for those of you who haven’t watched the live action remake there might be spoilers as you keep on reading. Just laying it out there.






The story of Mulan is about a girl who apparently takes her fathers place in war when the imperial king requests  one man from each family to join them in the battle against the bad people😅. Now I watched the animated version of Mulan which came out 1998 when I was little and I was looking forward to this live action remake but when I watched it, although I got my lessons, I was kinda disappointed.



 If you have watched the animated version of Mulan then you’ll definitely know what I am talking about. Disney tried as much as possible to make this movie more realistic so they scraped out the talking dragon voiced by Eddie Murphy and replace it with a Phoenix that will eventually guide Mulan on her journey, but unfortunately for them, we didn’t or I didn’t see the character of Mulan grow. The animated version of Mulan was more spirited and jovial individual but the person who plays the lead role is not much of a talker she just says some few lines, drops some comments and that is it I guess. Disney went on to leave some loopholes for us to fill in. I.e those that have watched and can remember the animated version of Mulan. They where key plots from the animated version that Disney just had to ignore. For example, in the animation, we saw when Mulan made the decision to take her fathers position and cut off her hair, in other to blend in with the men.



 That was a major plot that shows us how important the choice she was making was but in the live action remake, Mulan just carries her fathers sword and points it to the lens and boom, she was already in her fathers armor. Nothing emotional just zero feelings. I legit had to go rewind to check if I missed the cutting of hair when I blinked. 



Disney also introduced what the Chinese calls “Chi”, they also introduced a witch to take the position of the hawk in the animated version. I really shouldn’t be talking bad about this movie because I actually got some major lessons from it and it gave me something to write about but I’m just laying it out there that if you have watched the animated version and you see this one, it’ll be kinda disappointing to you. I’m just sad that this generation will not savor on the original version of Mulan. My personal advice to Disney is that they should give up trying to remake their banger animated cartoons. Lion king didn’t quite do too well I just advise them to leave the remaking to say? Netflix to do what they know how to do best. Although Netflix should not disappoint when creating the live action of Avatar the last air bender because I am looking forward to that one and I’ll be sure to do a review when it is released.

Moving on to the positive remark, Mulan is a great story. The original story of Mulan is titled “Ballad of Mulan” and that poem gave birth to the legend we know as Mulan.

 Mulan as a character had lots of lessons to learn from especially to the women, ladies and young girls out there. Although in the live action remake, the introduction of “chi” already made her “special” so she didn’t need to strive and grow to be a better version of herself she just had to stop hiding the “chi” that apparently made incredibly special and different from others. In the animated version, you see Mulan a normal girl striving and growing to stand out in camp dominated by men. What I aim at to correct from this is that everyone has their “chi”. Everyone has a special gift inside them too. It depends on when and how you choose to utilize it. Furthermore, I see the character of Mulan as a model to girls/women who want to make a difference in a world. A world that has already been termed as a “mans” world. Now I know this girl power talk is underrated and tiresome to some but once in a while, you have to be reminded of how strong and powerful you are. 



Mulan, a young woman, brought honor to her family, her ancestors, her village and to her entire country. Who says you are not enough? Girl, you alone can change the situation of your family. You alone can change the situation of your self. All you need is just to strive and stand out in this world. I am telling you that you are enough. The world has made it a norm that women are obligated  to be subjective to men because it’s a mans world after all. They already made the decision for us leaving women, girls and ladies with great potentials to stay hidden in their shells. No! No! No! 



You know I really love it when I see girls studying courses that the world think are for men. Girl I support you. Go there and make a change. Prove to the world that you have a voice too and that voice deserves to be heard. We can also change the nation. I don’t know if Hua Mulan was a real person and did all these things but Disney brought this character for us to pick something from and I did pick something out. I learnt that I am enough and I can bring honor to my family even as a girl. 



Maybe you are struggling with releasing your potentials, just remember that the flower that blooms is adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.

We have come to the end of this review guys. Thank you for staying with me till the end of this. I am sorry if I offended anyone by stating these criticisms I had with the live action remake. I am not discouraging you to watch it. I’m just stating the facts i gathered while watching it and remember that this is Peckysreality and it’s the way I see things so your views might be different. I hope you got something from this write up and please leave a movie suggestion you want me to see and give you a review on. I’ll keep my eyes open on the comment section so please drop something before logging off. Once again thank you guys soo much. I’ll see you on my next post.






Comments

  1. Oh peckyyyy😭😭
    You're too much 🦋
    You practically examined the movie and you pointed everything out👏🏽
    No lie Disney tried but they took my Fah Mulan and replaced her with Hua Mulan😞 which was obvious since the movie can't exactly be like the cartoon. Either ways the main lesson is still emphasized "Girls have potentials" 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 and all we need is just to have faith that we can do absolutely anything and make an impact in the world even as a female child.
    This still remains my favourite🤭😌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much baby girl!!! I’ll be doing more reviews soon

      Delete
  2. Who's the baddest blogger I know again. Pecky for the winnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.... that's nice the post it okay but ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts